Menopause means the end of the menstrual period. It can be called a change of life. The absence of menstrual periods for twelve months indicates menopause conditions in a woman's life. At this stage, the ovaries cease to function. This condition differs according to women. The average age may be 51years when a woman experiences menopause, but it can also occur in the 40s and 60s. Sudden abnormal vaginal bleeding, hot flashes, and mood changes may indicate menopause.
1. Menopause generally requires no treatment. Doctors recommend hormone therapy i.eEstrogen therapy helps in relieving hot flashes.
2. Vaginal estrogen helps in vaginal dryness by using vaginal cream. Low-dose antidepressants such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors decrease menopausal hot flashes.
3. In substitute for estrogen therapy, gabapentin (Neurontin, gralise) is used to reduce hot flashes. Clonidine (catapres, kapvay) is recommended.
4. Doctors may advise eating foods that are high in estrogen-like soybeans, soy milk, nuts and seeds, fennel, celery, parsley, and flaxseed oil.
5. Calcium intake must be increased to avoid osteoporosis.
6. Regular exercise may help in maintaining good health. The stress of menopause can be reduced with yoga, meditation, deep breathing, etc.
7. Smoking and drinking must be avoided. Spicy food and caffeine must be reduced to avoid severe menopause conditions.
Irregular periods,Vaginal dryness,Hot flashes,Chills,Night sweats,Sleep problems,Mood changes,Weight gain and slowed metabolism
Hot flashes, Emotional symptoms
Hormone therapy for relieving menopausal hot flashes,Vaginal estrogen to relieve vaginal dryness, estrogen can be administered directly to the vagina using a vaginal cream, tablet or ring,Low-dose antidepressants to decrease menopausal hot flashes. A low-dose antidepressant for management of hot flashes may be useful for women who can't take estrogen for health reasons or for women who need an antidepressant for a mood disorder,Gabapentin (Gralise, Horizant, Neurontin) to treat seizures, but it has also been shown to help reduce hot flashes. This drug is useful in women who can't use estrogen therapy and in those who also have nighttime hot flashes,Clonidine (Catapres, Kapvay) to treat high blood pressure, might provide some relief from hot flashes